Monday, October 5, 2009

More Conference Weekend...

This weekend listening to conference was a bittersweet weekend for us. It was sweet because of the things that we learned, the testimonies that we heard, the love that was expressed, and getting to hear our beloved prophet. BUT... we all agreed that even thought it was nice being able to watch it on our TV, in our own home, and stuff our selves with conference food.
It was BITTER because...
we really missed our Norwegian families.
Every conference we would go to the church and gather with the saints in Norway. There we would listen to conference. Saturday morning session was Saturday night. Priesthood session was Sunday morning and then Saturday afternoon session was Sunday afternoon, then Sunday morning session was Sunday Evening for us.
What made conference so different you ask other than the times being different. The main broadcast was in Norwegian and in the chapel. The Relief Society Room or the Primary room downstairs was set up with a TV and was broadcast in English. Most of our friends joined us in the English speaking room because they wanted to hear their prophets' own voice.
The part that we missed the most was that each of us would bring a dinner for ourselves or sometimes we would work together with a theme. During the break we would all gather in the cultural hall and share our dinner. The visits were so fun!! It gave us time to just sit, eat, talk and be together. Then Kent Smith would be on the dish duty.
How my little family has missed that this past couple of conferences. In fact as I write it now it brings tears to my eyes and I can picture each family sitting around the tables visiting in my mind.
We all cheered as Elder Perry referred to the Norwegian people that worked on the Manti temple. Our hearts were full as he talked of their efforts, ideas, craftiness, and hard work.
I guess there will always be a very large part of us that will always be Norwegian no matter where we go or what we do.
We decided today that we attend 4 seesions of conference because of the example of our Norwegian families. Thank you for being steadfast and strong and an example to us all those years. We sure miss you guys!!

5 comments:

Delcie said...

It must be so hard to be away from traditions that are so close to your heart! Thanks for sharing your fond memories!

Julie said...

We missed you! Even though we were wimps and watched it online at home, I would have gone in to the church if you were going to be there!

Cassie said...

That's so much how it is here too...but Josh and I always stay home to watch it online for the sake of the babies :)

Brimaca said...

Just found your chiropr. comment on my page. I've been to one before - but maybe I do need to go again. I be thinking about about it. :)

Brimaca said...

I loved this post by the way. I bet they miss you too. But I am sooooo glad you are here.