Sunday, August 31, 2008

What's for Dinner or Lunch?!?!

Can you tell what we are going to have?!?
It is a good thing this artist is so good it probably made it really easy to guess.
The signs are telling you Fresh Shrimp (Reker) and New Caught Crab.
The boats head out to the North Sea early in the morning. They have crab traps that they put fish into then, the crabs crawl into the traps and can't escape. They use nets to get the shrimp.
They return to the harbor in the early afternoon and begin to sell their goods. Sometimes they have fresh fish also. They cook the shrimp and crabs in big boiling pots right on the boat.


You go right up to the boat and buy the shrimp and crab. Of course the problem that arises is that usually the fisherman doesn't speak any English and my Norwegian is terrible. So with alot of pointing and broke Norwegian they sell it to me by the kilo.
They have picnic tables so if you just want to buy, sit and eat that works also. They also sell ice cream in a little shed right to the side of it. They sell ice cream everywhere here.
These are the signs that advertise for the goods. They just place these signs out into the streets

The above sign says that it is large shrimp.
This one tells you that it is large and caught today!!

These boats are only about a 2 minute walk from my house. I have in my mind an easy great dinner. I will serve it with French Bread, soft cheese and Salad. Oh Yum!! So I grab my wicker shopping basket and head off towards the boat. I am thinking great I won't even have to work hard fixing dinner tonight. I have a song in my heart and a lightness to my step thinking how great this is. Then suddenly I STOP something is very wrong!! I rack my brain trying to remember what is wrong. You see I am getting old and have a tough time remember things like this!! Then a very dark feeling comes over me it is a feeling of extreme disappointment. The fog begins to clear in my brain and slowly but surely the thought comes to me.
MY FAMILY DOESN'T REALLY LIKE SEAFOOD!!
Drats!! It is when company comes that I skip off the boats for shrimp and crabs!!
SO WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE COME VISIT ME SO I CAN HAPPILY SKIP OFF THE THE SHRIMP BOATS!!
Now I have to figure out what to do for dinner!!

3 comments:

Hansen å di said...

What a great blog, I love it! Your pictures are just beautiful, and your comments entertaining and illustrating. It reminded me that I do live in a beautiful country :)
I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Else-Berit

Julie said...

Great signs! I'll come for seafood if you take me to the boats and show me how to buy everything! Do I have to eat the shrimp with the heads on? Gross.

2 Lazy 2 Grandma said...

MMMMMM good! Reminds me of staying with you in Scotland and in Norway. Great seafood and beautiful harbor scenes. You did an excellent discription of the shrimp and crab availability.