Thursday, April 16, 2009

The most talked about thing...

As people enter our home they are drawn to this beautiful piece. What is it you ask?!? Well it is a Tine. In norway when people used to go to other people's homes for dinner or a party and were asked to bring something they would put it into this a bring the goodies. This one has the most unusal story. Let me tell you it!! I had purchased one from my favorite Rosemaling lady Hildegard. When my Uncle and Aunt came to visit me one time my Uncle feel in love with it. You see he is a very creative, crafty, handy person. (I always have a list of things to fix when he comes!!) He traced my orginal one and took some pictures. Then he ventured home. That Christmas when we went to spend Christmas with them he showed us the starting of making the containers. (I wish I had those pictures now so you could really understand the whole story) well after much experimenting he devised a method from bending the wood and not having it crack or break. He made a goal to make 9 of them. He started out and then would send me through UPS two or three. I would take them to Hildegard and then she would paint them and I would return them back to my Uncle. The process was going well until Hildegard mentioned that she was retiring. I immediately called my Uncle and he kicked it into high gear!! The Tine project was Hildegards last big fling. She finished the last one and then her daughter in law passed away and she took on the responsiblity of helping raise her 3 grandchildren ages 6-1 1/2 years old.

Hildegard loved doing this project with my Uncle. She said she loved to paint on his things because they felt like velvet!!! This is my keep sake that he made for me. Notice the many different kinds of woods and the colors. Hildegard usually painted the background the traditional norwegian red or black but she said the wood was to beautiful to cover up with color.


Everyone who comes into our home is so drawn to the beautiful piece. It is definately the most talked about thing in our home. So I decided to share this beautiful thing with you!!


2 comments:

Alf's boy said...

That would sure get people talking at ward parties if you brought your dishes in it.

Julie said...

I love it too! Maybe I'll be able to find one for me before I leave. Of course it won't have the cool story behind it. Maybe it will have a Fretex story though!