Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Weather fronts...

When I taught school in south Louisiana I would come into the school in the morning and there would be a whole line of kids lined up who had already gotten into trouble!!! My principal used to say a weather front was coming through. Every time a front coming through the kids would get wild.

So this Texas town that I am living in has numerous auto accidents daily. After being here I year I credit these accidents to...
1. Teenager drivers trying to show off with their friends in the vehicle with them and driving fast and crazy.
2. These teenage drivers driving big vehicles with a huge metal guard (the kind you use if you are driving in deer or elk country all the time) on the front of their vehicle. A parent once said to me that they were putting their child in their pickup with the metal guard because they knew they would have an accident and they wanted them to be the one to walk away.

SO what is my point...
This morning a weather front has been moving through. I got out to take my daughter to school. I came to the road that takes me out of the subdivision, stopped looked left and a car was many yards away. I pulled out onto the road, accelerated and got 30 yards down the road and the car comes speeding up onto my tail. (for it to have come on me that fast it had to have been going 60 mph or more in a 45 speed zone) The driver laid on the horn, and then barely zoomed out around me almost taking off my mirror. ( I might add here that this is a two lane street and there was no one in the other lane so the car could have easily moved over or just not been driving soooooooooooo fast. ) And you guessed it it was a teenage driver.
Then we move through two stop lights and see police lights flashing. Yup a fender bender, and Yup another teenage driver.
I then drop my daughter off to school, pull out of the school driveway and stop at the stop light. The light turns green and two cars from the opposite direction run the red light and turn right in front of me. Thank heavens I have learned to not be quick out of the stop light gate. And you guessed it teenage drivers.
I texted my daughter and told her and her reply back to me was... AND just why are you pushing me so hard to get my drivers license!!

BUT I am wondering with my vast (or not so vast) experience could there be a correlation between the storm front that is moving in and the driving this morning or is it just teenage drivers.


4 comments:

Julie said...

Interesting correlation. I think it's just stupid teenage drivers!

Tricia said...

Definety Teenage drivers!! Eyn is currently working on getting his. I recently told Darin I DON'T want to drive with him again until he has his official license and even then... I don't know. I hate the sweaty palms, increased heartbeat, wrinkles forming on my forehead as I continuesly cringe, and the white knuckles from holding on so tight. No, it's probably not that bad but I'm sure it's close!

Brimaca said...

I know. Why do they drive like that? Ok, so I know cuz I once thought it was cool too I guess. But now I fear for my babies and wish I could make them understand they are putting my kids at risk and how would they feel it they hurt them and had that on their shoulders for the rest of their lives.

Alf's boy said...

Linc see it everyday at the high school parking lot here.