Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I love...

When we moved here in January, I had forgotten how desolate it was in west Texas. It was such a shock coming from such a rugged and beautiful country like Norway. I went through withdrawal (for many other reasons also). This past few weeks we have had a fair amount of rain and along with it the desert has come into full bloom.

These are called purple sage. I was going to pop out a few days ago and get some pictures, but got busy doing other things. When the last rain storm came through it took most of the blossoms off. As you can see by the blanket of flowers on the ground. But these are such a beautiful site.
These bushes were just loaded with blossoms. So just image that the blossoms that you see laying on the ground are actually on the tree and if you really use your imagination you can see what I have seen this past couple of weeks.


This of course is someones yard. But can you believe there are yards this beautiful in west Texas. It is amazing what a little sprinkler system and water will do. But you really ought to know!! This is out by where some good friends of ours live and they see rattlesnakes all the time. Of course their house backs up to a wide open field. But they put moth balls out and it keeps the snakes out of their yard. Now they just have to worry about a bobcat and her babies jumping the fence to drink from their pool.



The desert is really a beautiful place. BUT along with the beautiful comes the sun also, which I love but today it is supposed to be 104 which is about 40 C. Thank heavens my frig makes ice cubes!!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I love your post! I love West Texas after it has some good rain! Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures. It makes me miss home... I'll write soon. Life has been crazy as usual! :)

Cassie said...

You know Tricia was in our ward in KATY when we moved there! Crazy how small the oilfield is sometimes.

Hey - those pictures look VERY familiar :)