Sunday, June 3, 2012

a memory day at the cabin...

 When my Aunt was a young girl her father was a trapper.  They came to this cabin to spend the summer while he did the trapping for the game and fish.  We made a journey to this cabin yesterday to share it with some young friends.  For me the best part was listening to my Aunt recalling the memories. 

 Getting ready for a picnic on the front steps of the cabin.
 They would live here all summer long.  My Aunt told of at about age nine being in charge of bringing the horses from their winter home to the cabin by herself, because her family was bringing in the supplies a different route in the car.  She also told us about how fun it was to put the old horse in the ditch and how the horse would stand there and they would run a jump and try to mount her like the indians used to mount their horses.
 This was a forest service cabin. It was only a one room cabin.  But there was a loft and I remember my mom saying that the girls slept up there.  It used to have a wooden pole fence around it. Ill recall a story tomorrow about the fence, a broken arm, sling and the journey out to the DR.
 Of course like usual Rooster is right in the middle of our adventure wanting a stick thrown!!
As I watched my Uncle and Aunt sitting on the porch I wondered what  memories my aunt might be recalling and I also got a small glimpse of my grandparents maybe sitting out on the step talking about their day of trapping and watch three young girls play.  Both then and now I am sure a thought on all of their minds was how good life is.

No comments: