Monday, June 4, 2012

more cabin fun...

My Aunt and Uncle really enjoying telling the girls about some of the history of the cabin.  My Aunt remembers the three girls always imaged Indians coming and bears coming to the cabin.  Oh how young minds can wander.
 
 And yes there is rooster again!!
 Now the story of the broken arm and fence.  The three girls used to walk the fence.  One day my aunt fell off, not sure if she slipped or was gently pushed!!  But it broke her arm.  She went into her mom and showed her and her mom said oh you broke your arm and my aunt said no it is just bent.  My Grandma wrapped it up and put a sling on it.  Then they had to wait for my grandpa to come back from his daily trapping and take them out to the DR.  Mind you the drive was probably about an hour drive.
 Here is a picture of the inside of the cabin.  This used to hold all of their dishes and supplies.  It is on hinges and can close up, but was let down to use a a table to make dinner and to eat around.
 There has been some tables added through the years.    At the top of the picture you can see the loft where the girls used to sleep.   

Speaking of FOOD...  My Aunt told of the Bask sheepherders who used to bring them mutton (a piece of sheep meat) to eat and how they would stay and play them song and sing the Bask songs.  They would use a comb and a aspen leave for their instruments as they entertained my grandparents and aunts.  For many years my grandmothers used to cook mutton slowly in the oven with onions and seasonings. 

1 comment:

Brimaca said...

amazing memories! love it!