Monday, June 22, 2009

The Desert in bloom...

There is a plant here in the desert call the century plant. I remember seeing them outside of my grandmother's drive way. Her's were huge, but then I was a little girl so maybe they weren't as big as they seemed. Above is a century plant that has already bloomed.
Here is one that has been in bloom for almost 2 weeks. Everyday when I take my husband to work and drive by it I think to myself I should take a picture of that!! So this morning I toted my camera along and snapped some shots. The plant dies after flowering, but produces suckers from the base, which continue its growth. The average life-span is around 28 years. (this is according to wikipedia)

I would love to pop over and try to feel what the flowers feel like, but...
1. It is at a very busy intersection in town
2. It is really tall, I thought about climbing it but decided that it wouldn't hold me to get up to the top so, it will remain a mystery as to what the flowers feels like.

1 comment:

2 Lazy 2 Grandma said...

That's an interesting flowering plant. I saw it in a wildflower book, but had no idea what they really looked like in real life. Now I know. Thanks for sharing your photo and information about it.