Friday, June 26, 2009

Ranch Livestock...

Over the years we have dreamed about what we will do with the ranch. It has always been a dream that the whole family would be involved some how and that it would provide a safe haven for everyone...
My nephew likes that idea!! He loves being on the ranch. Actually he just loves hanging with the cousins, and checking out what's in the pantry.
We need to do something with it that will allow me to be able to ride everyday if I want.
So we have thought of making it a deer ranch, but realized that those things are so wild that we wouldn't be able to contain them. But then we realized that are all over the ranch anyway so that wouldn't work. Part of a working ranch is in the fall being willing to go up into the woods and rustle around in the underbrush and trees looking for your livestock.
Well...
Two days ago our daughter went rustling through the underbrush of our backyard and located...

yes, another turtle. So then the idea struck us, maybe our livestock could be turtles! They are really plentiful here is west Texas. Oh yeah, we are onto something roundups would be easy, the cost of feeding would be minimal, a few grubs here or there, some fruit chopped up. Are you getting my picture?
The BLM would allow us to be in the government ground longer during the summer since there wouldn't be a chance of over grazing. So I approached this guy and have a conversation with him about rounding up all his friends and signing a contract to be a part of the ranch. I explained all of the benefits, the pros and cons, the biggest con being the ride in the horse trailer from here to the ranch. And he just
walked away from the deal. Wait I asked "are you going back to your buddies to get their opinion and come back at us with a deal. Or are you just walking away from the deal?" No response. I was ready to offer him a deal of a life time. Of course I didn't mention the hours it would take to cover acreage, that the winter's were cold, he must have seem the deception is my eyes. That was it. I should have worn a mask to present the deal!!
So I chatted him up again trying to swing a deal. Hoping this time he would listen. I even put the biggest smile on my face.
I really am getting the picture now. This definitely means no deal!!
I guess we will puzzle for few more years so what to do with the ranch!!

1 comment:

Jaimie said...

I love your blog! You are so funny! :) Wish you were still my VT!!